The Strong National Museum of Play
The Strong is a highly interactive, collections-based museum devoted to the history and exploration of play.
Welcome to Rochester's Strong National Museum of Play, home to the most comprehensive collection of video games in the world, the ultimate play destination for all ages!!
The Strong is New York's largest cultural attraction, featuring 2 full floors, or 100,000 square feet, of interactive exhibit spaces. There is also a butterfly garden onsite, a gift shop, a food court, and a restaurant. The exhibits range in subjects but feature an array of artifacts, research, and interactive activities. Explore the exhibits on your own or with a 1-hour tour from an expert, seeing such different features as the Academy of Interactive Arts and Science, America at Play, Build Drive Go, DanceLab, Field of Play, the Elaine Wilson Carousel, Pinball Playfields, Wegmans Super Kids Market, and much more.
Aside from the exhibits, The Strong is also home to the following programs and sections:
- National Toy Hall of Fame - See the 68 toys that have made it into the Hall of Fame so far, from Alphabet Blocks to Wiffle Ball!
- World Video Game Hall of Fame - The best of the best in the video game world, featuring arcade, console, mobile, and computer games, a few standouts being Super Mario Bros, Pong, Grand Theft Auto, and World of Warcraft.
- International Center for the History of Electronic Games - The onsite research center that studies and interprets the history of gaming.
- Brian Sutton-Smith Library and Archives of Play - Onsite research repository that explores the social and cultural history of play.
- American Journal of Play - The print publication based out of the Strong.
- Woodbury School - Learning activities for children in preschool and early kindergarten (ages 3-5).