Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT’s motto is “mens et manus,” or “mind and hand,” signifying the fusion of academic knowledge with practical purpose.
Welcome to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the private research university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, near Boston. More commonly referred to as MIT, this campus sits right alongside the Charles River on a total of 166 acres, within the colorful district of Kendall Square.
MIT was first established in 1861, though the first students weren't admitted until 1865. The highly respected university boasts 5 different schools, 30 + departments, and 60+ labs and programs within its extensive repertoire. It is a land-grant, sea-grant, space-grant school, as well.
During your visit your group will have several different touring options;
- Group Tour - These tours are meant for larger groups of up to 50 and last about 75-90 minutes, not including a specialized information session.
- General Public Tour - This tour is given to over 55,000 people each year, giving groups a general MIT Campus information session and tour. You will discuss academics, campus life, admissions, and the financial aid process during this tour.
- Specialty Tours - Prospective students interested in going into any of the following fields will have special tours for their specific interests: Architecture, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, and Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Shadow a Student or Attend a Class - These are specific experiences designed for serious prospective students.
- Self-Guided Tour - Take your time and travel around campus on your own watch, just pick up a tour brochure in the Visitor Info Center. Some spots of interest to consider fitting in your schedule include the Kresge Auditorium, MIT Chapel, Media Lab, MIT Museum, and Julius Adams Stratton Building.
View this post on Instagram